[Pulp-dev] Splitting ansible-pulp3 responsibilities

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 02:04:49 UTC 2018

If this is better off as an issue in Redmine, please let me know but I was
honestly not sure where to raise this kind of issue so mailing list it is
to start.

Background

While playing around with the ansible-pulp3 repository I found myself
wanting to run the scenarios to ensure that I had a basic grasp of the
install flow and to ensure that any changes I made did not break existing
scenarios. I found myself having to copy Vagrantfile's around for each
scenario, including adding new ones based on other OSes (e.g. CentOS) until
things got messy.

General Proposal

Based on my experience, I am proposing to split the "installer" portion
(e.g. all of the core Ansible) from the provisioning pieces (e.g. Vagrant)
across two separate git repositories.

Potential Solution for Proposal

The above is a general proposal. What follows is a potential solution that
I built out and used locally to get myself up to speed running and testing
for multiple scenarios and OSes. In the Foreman community we built
ourselves a simple little tool called Forklift that allows configuring
Vagrant through yaml, and building custom boxes built based on previous box
definitions. This has worked quite well for both creating production, test
and development environments for many years. Given my experience I popped
out a "Pulplift" using Forklift as a library to provide boxes for Fedora
27, 28 and CentOS 7 for source and sandbox installations. You can find the
repo at [1] with some starting notes about what the repository can do in
the README.

Whether Pulplift is adopted or not, I think there is a benefit to splitting
per the general proposal. Further, this split will allow the installer bits
to remain Ansible focused and the Vagrant bits to be seen as testing, and
evaluation code.

Thanks for consideration,
Eric

[1] https://github.com/ehelms/pulplift