[Pulp-dev] Commit message validation

Simon Baatz gmbnomis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:33:07 UTC 2018

Hi David,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:15:22AM -0400, David Davis wrote:
>    I want to announce that commit messages will be validated for PRs
>    against pulp’s master branch per [0]. This validation will check two
>    things.
>    First, the validation script checks that there’s an attached issue in
>    the commit message. This is to prevent commits not being properly
>    associated with the issue they've fixed. If you absolutely must commit
>    code without an issue, add “#noissue” to the commit message.

I must admit that I am still confused which changes need an issue and
what the link is good for during the build process.  Perhaps a more
complex example could help: We had a "mixed bag" PR for Crane a
couple of weeks ago [0] which consisted of the following commits
(after improving it and splitting it up into 4 commits).

4. Implement option to serve local content:

  The core implementation of the feature

3. Add "repository" to stored repo data from redirect files

  Preparation for the actual feature.

2. Fix app_util.validate_and_transform_repo_name()

  Fix for a function to improve handling of edge cases.

1. Fix logger name for v2 views

  One line "drive by fix" to fix logging in a module.

Let's assume 1. and 2. are commits one would consider to pick for a
stable patch release (AFAIK this is currently not happening for Crane, but
let's pretend).  3. and 4. belong to the implementation of a new
feature (with 4. being the "meat").  The fixes were not planned
before, they just made sense to do during implementation/review.

In this PR, only 4. had an annotation linking it to the story ("closes #3857").
What would be the proper way to handle this PR with respect to issues
and annotations in your opinion?

[0] https://github.com/pulp/crane/pull/93/commits