[Pulp-dev] Theme of the bachelor thesis

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 21:14:09 UTC 2018

I’m interested to know more about this versioning/branching proposal and
its goals. I assume this would be to explore changing Pulp 3 to use a
non-linear branching model? Would the goal be to contribute this model to
Pulp 3 codebase in the near term (like before the MVP)? I guess my concern
would be that I don’t think there is enough of a need nor the time to
properly vet it before the MVP. I don’t think we can guarantee that a
branching proposal would result in a change to Pulp 3 in the near term, and
switching the data model post-MVP is potentially risky and likely backwards
incompatible, so adoption later would be unlikely also.

I also want to point out that we explored another versioning model before
we went with our current design. We did some performance analysis and found
that the model wasn’t optimized for the most common use cases in Pulp.
Here’s the discussion in case you’re interested:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-dev/2017-December/msg00075.html

David