[Pulp-dev] artifact stages adjustment or any other solution?

Tatiana Tereshchenko ttereshc at redhat.com
Mon Aug 26 10:46:11 UTC 2019

In RPM plugin we have Modulemd content. It comes from metadata as one file
and we parse it and then save each modulemd as a separate file/artifact.

The question is how to handle this content in the sync pipeline.
Modulemd content is artifactless on a remote source (metadata) but it's not
artifactless in Pulp, so it can't follow a standard path - it needs an
artifact but doesn't have any remote source to download it from.

The suggestion: find a way to skip ArtifactDownloader and
RemoteArtifactSaver stages.
The content and its artifact still need to go through all the stages,
except the ones which deal with artifact's url in some way - download
artifact (ArtifactDownloader stage) and or create a RemoteArtifact for
downloading later (RemoteArtifactSaver stage).

The straightforward way is just to check if DeclarativeArtifact has url (or
check some special value) and skip the stage otherwise. Any concerns about
this approach (apart form being somewhat hacky)?

Any other solutions to the problem?

Thank you,
Tanya

P.S. FWIW, Reasons to store modulemd as a file are:
- the format is not very stable and new information can be added
- it can be large
- we don't need all the info in the DB, we use only small subset of fields
(to search by or for copy operations)