[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 for Fedora

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:03:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM Brian Bouterse <bbouters at redhat.com> wrote:

> This identifies that packaging Pulp into Fedora is valuable. Thank you for that. I've got a few questions to help us get there.
>
> What is the recommendation for where to keep the spec files for these items? Is it directly in the Fedora infra? The Pulp upstream repos aren't supposed to contain packaging bits anymore is my understanding.

Spec files and other packaging specific data *must* reside in Fedora
Dist-Git: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_spec_maintenance_and_canonicity

Spec files in upstream repos is up to the upstream, but Fedora
infrastructure cannot access them and cannot rely on them.

> What is the Fedora policy on distributing pre-release software like release candidates for a new major release? Is it OK that pulpcore be at RC2 for example? Feel free to link me to docs too.

It's really up to the maintainers and how they feel about the quality
of the software. Betas or RCs are fine in my book if they work
reasonably well. They can be updated to final as a post-GA update.
Unlike a lot of distributions, Fedora makes it pretty easy to ship
updates throughout the life of a distribution release, so it's not
really that much of a worry.