[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 Licensing

Oleksandr Saprykin osapryki at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 12:27:41 UTC 2019

Hi Dana,

I would like to clarify under which license terms pulp plugins \ derivative
work are eligible to be published.
IANAL. As far as I know GPL (any version) requires that all derivative work
must be published under the same terms of GPL license.

Therefore as a plugin author I cannot release pulp plugin under terms of
any other more permissive license than the GPL (e.g. MIT, BSD, Apache
licenses).

Another example. If Galaxy project released under terms of Apache 2.0
license wants to use pulp as a direct dependency, meaning
subclassing *pulpcore* or *pulpcore-plugin* classes, it creates GPL license
violation due to GPL license requirement to be licensed under GPL
for all covered (derivative) work.

OLEKSANDR SAPRYKIN

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Red Hat