[Pulp-dev] Concerns about bulk_create and PostgreSQL

Simon Baatz gmbnomis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:14:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 08:46:18AM -0500, David Davis wrote:
>    The Rubygems api includes sha as part of the metadata for a gem.
>    Couldn't you use that as part of the natural key?
>    I'm surprised that Chef's supermarket API doesn't include this as well.
>    Maybe we could open a feature request?

W.r.t.  the Supermarket API I haven't found anything (neither in the
documentation nor in the actual responses).  We could open a feature
request, but there isn't only the official Supermarket, there is also
Chef Server, Minimart, (the deprecated) berkshelf API server and
JFrog Artifactory.  I wouldn't like to depend on a cutting edge
feature of the Supermarket API, which other upstream servers have to
incorporate to be usable with pulp_cookbook.

Moreover, the current metadata is provided as one big chunk of data
(single request to 'universe' endpoint).  The digest would probably be
obtained by extending the response to GET detailed information about
a specific cookbook version (i.e.  name and version).  I plan to
enrich metadata using this endpoint at some point in time, but I want
to make it optional (for Chef Supermarket, this would cause thousands
of requests during an initial repo sync even when using on_demand
policy)