[Pulp-dev] Database support in Pulp 3

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 19:54:39 UTC 2019

Two plugins are currently running into issues trying to support
mariadb/mysql. The pulp_ansible plugin is interested in adding full text
search and JSONFields. Meanwhile, the pulp_python plugin is trying to store
emojis in text which mariadb/mysql doesn't handle well since it uses 3-byte
utf-8 by default[0]. Given such cases, I wonder if we'd be better served by
dropping mariadb/mysql support and going with Postgresql only. Gitlab
recently came to a similar conclusion[1].

I personally am hesitant to give up being database agnostic but we already
don't support sqlite. Also, I see some advantages like utilizing several
Postgresql-only features like extra field types, full text search, etc.
Also, supporting multiple databases means we'll likely have to write db
specific code in some places or have plugins that only work with certain
database types.

Thoughts?

[0]
https://medium.com/@adamhooper/in-mysql-never-use-utf8-use-utf8mb4-11761243e434