[Pulp-dev] pulp 2 to 3 upgrade experience concerns

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 14:06:18 UTC 2019

Users of Pulp 2 that are upgrading to Pulp 3 need to make files stored in
/var/lib/pulp/content readable by Pulp 3. There are two way to do that:

1. Install Pulp 3 with 'pulp_user' set to 'apache'. (Pulp will run as user
'apache')

2. Install Pulp 3 with any 'pulp_user' and any 'pulp_group'.
    Recursively change group ownership of /var/lib/pulp/content/ to the
value of 'pulp_group' and change the mode to 775 so that group can read the
files.

We have already started moving users toward the second approach by
including the relabeling of /var/lib/pulp in the 2.20.0 release[0].
However, I am concerned that this will lead to poor experiences for users
that have a lot of content in their Pulp 2. Hours or days of upgrading
their Pulp to 2.20.0+.

I propose that we revert the change introduces in 2.20.0 and add an RPM
scriptlet that changes everything back to 'apache:apache'. Then we can tell
users that they have the two options from above when upgrading from Pulp 2.

What are your thoughts?

[0]  https://github.com/pulp/pulp-packaging/pull/98/files