[Pulp-dev] black

Tatiana Tereshchenko ttereshc at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 08:33:15 UTC 2019

-0

I'm usually all for consistency, and having standard style sounds good in
theory.

1. What worries me is that there is basically no way back, we can't just
try it out.
Maybe waiting a bit to see if black has more adoption in the Python
community and goes GA is not a bad idea.

2. Is now the point when we desperately need autoformatter?
I don't work with many plugins but I read/review code a lot, including
pulpcore, pulpcore-plugin, pulp_file, pulp_rpm, pulp_maven, pulp_ansible
and a bit of pulp_docker.
I didn't encounter a noticeable difference in style which will make me feel
that I need to adopt to it.

3. If one of the goals is to make the code more readable, in my subjective
opinion, after black changes, it's 50/50.
Some parts are more readable, some parts are less. (just to be clear, I'm
NOT talking here about single or double quotes.)

Tanya