[Pulp-dev] Changing how Ansible Installer receives Pulp Settings

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Jun 25 16:00:04 UTC 2019

Currently the installer has a few challenges w.r.t. how it receives/sets
the Pulp Settings. The issue I wrote identifies the 3 aspects of the issue,
and proposes an approach that would both resolve these issues and simplify
the installer at the same time [0].

Here's the gist of the issue:
1. Most of the Pulp settings are not settable through the installer at the
moment
2. New settings need to explicitly be added to the installer (extra work)
3. It can't ever set generic settings, e.g. a user wants to configure Pulp
to use a third party auth.

The solution was recommended to me in #ansible:
1. Have all Pulp settings come from a large dictionary w/ arbirary
keys/values named pulp_settings.
2. Have the jinja template generically transform the dictionary keys into
settings in the settings.py file used by Pulp.

Feedback is welcome. If you have an alternative we should consider, or a
concern with this plan please let us know!

[0]: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5031

Thanks!
Brian