[Pulp-dev] Performance testing results, autoincrement ID vs UUID primary keys

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 20:23:10 UTC 2019

I've finally gotten to read through the numbers and this thread. It is a
tradeoff but I am +1 for switching to UUIDs. I focus on the PostgreSQL UUID
vs int case because that is our default database. I don't think too much
about how things perform on MariaDB because they can improve their own
performance to catch up to PostgreSQL which regularly is performing better
afaict. I agree with the assessment of 30% ish slowdown in the large unit
cases for PostgreSQL. Still, I believe the advantages of switching to UUIDs
are worth it. Two main reasons stick out in my mind.

1. Our core code and all plugin code will always be compatible with common
db backends even when using bulk_create()
2. We get database sharding with postgresql which you can only do with UUID
pks. I was advised this years ago by jcline.

Performance and compatibility are a pretty classic trade-off. Overall I've
found that initial releases launch with less performance and improve (often
significantly) overtime. Consider the interpreter pypy (not pypi).  It
started "roughly 2000x slower [at initial launch] than CPython, to roughly
7x faster [now]" [0]. Launching Pulp 3.0 that is 30% slower in the
worst-case but runs everywhere with zero "db-behavior surprises" I think is
worth it. Also conversely, if we don't adopt UUIDs, how will we address
item 1 pre RC?

@dawalker for the "can we have both" option, we probably can have some
db-specific codepaths, but I don't think doing an application wide PK type
change as a setting is feasible to support. The db specific codepaths are
one way performance improves over time. For the initial release, to keep
things simple I hope we don't have conditional database codepaths (for now).

More discussion on this change is encouraged. Thanks @dalley so much for
all the detailed investigation!

[0]: https://morepypy.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-first-15-years-of-pypy.html

Thank you,