[Pulp-dev] Pulp 2 and 3 Service Name Clashes

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 22:40:50 UTC 2019

I thought of a third option I'll throw out there aimed it reducing the
confusion through complete name changes of the services in Pulp 3. The
problem today is Pulp 2 and Pulp 3 have a 'resource-manager' and thus only
differentiate them via underscores and hyphens. Same with workers. Option 3
would be to change the naming of pulp-resource-manager and pulp-worker to
entirely new nomenclature within Pulp 3+. For example:

 * pulp-resource-manager becomes pulp-task-manager, pulp-tasking-manager,
pulp-queue-manager, pulp-arborist, arborist
 * pulp-worker becomes pulp-task-runner, pulp-task-worker,
pulp-async-worker, pulp-tasking-worker, pulp-seedling

This option still requires developers and operates with both to remember
which corresponds to which version of Pulp but makes it more obvious given
the complete naming difference than remembering which is the hyphen and
which is the underscore release.

Let the bike shedding begin!