[Pulp-dev] <External> Issue #4432:<Pulp upgrade from 2.7 to 2.18 logs says Database initialization failed>

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 20:15:00 UTC 2019

The pulp-list is a better place for user questions, but I'll reply here.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 2:59 AM Madavarapu, Yashwanth (ETW - Cognizant) <
Yashwanth.Madavarapu at nike.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Can someone let me know on my below queries.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Yash
>

> *From: *<pulp-dev-bounces at redhat.com> on behalf of "Madavarapu, Yashwanth
> (ETW - Cognizant)" <Yashwanth.Madavarapu at nike.com>
> *Date: *Friday, March 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM
> *To: *"pulp-dev at redhat.com" <pulp-dev at redhat.com>
> *Subject: *<External>[Pulp-dev] Issue #4432:<Pulp upgrade from 2.7 to
> 2.18 logs says Database initialization failed>
>

> Hi Team,
>

> Continuing to the Issue 4432,I have below questions. Can someone clarify
> it.
>

> 1.We have a production db of 70GB,when we are doing upgrade from version
> to version i.e., from 2.7 to 2.8 and 2.8 to 2.9 and so on up to 2.18.How
> much time it would take to for pulp-manage-db to  migrate dB once we
> upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 during its first run of “sudo -u apache
> pulp-manage-db”, we wanted to have an estimate  how much time it would take
> as it has multiple versions that need to be upgraded. It would be helpful
> if we can get info on this so we can plan the downtime for the application.

There are a lot of variables that go into the runtime so a prediction is
almost impossible. My best advise is to perform a test upgrade on a
separate system to get an idea of what it will be for you at upgrade time.

2.Is it ok to have Pulp version upgraded to 2.18 with mongodb running with
> 2.6.

I believe 2.18 runs best on mongo 3.0 - 3.2. I can't speak to it's
compatability with mongo 2.6

3.What are the best ways to stop the pulp services, as we have multiple
> components running on multiple servers. As far I am aware it is best to
> stop the apache,resourcemanager and worker services once all are done we
> can bring down the mongodb services. Please let me know if there is any
> other order to stop the services.

Once all the Pulp processes are stopped it's safe to stop mongodb. It's
also a good idea to have Pulp complete all of its tasks before stopping it
if you are upgrading.