[Pulp-dev] ergonomics of providing Pulp with lists of items

Daniel Alley dalley at redhat.com
Sat May 4 00:48:12 UTC 2019

Providing Pulp with lists of values from the command line is rather
unweildy.  There's a lot of unnecessary escaping going on.

http POST :24817${REPO_HREF}versions/
add_content_units:="[\"$CONTENT_HREF\",\"$CONTENT_2_HREF\"]"

http POST http://localhost:24817/pulp/api/v3/rpm/copy/
source_repo=${SRC_REPO_HREF} dest_repo=${DEST_REPO_HREF}
types:="[\"errata\"]"

Tanya, Ina and myself thought it would be worth discussing the idea of
using something more ergonomic, like a comma-separated string.  This would
make the endpoints much easier to use manually.

http POST :24817${REPO_HREF}versions/
add_content_units="$CONTENT_HREF,$CONTENT_2_HREF"

http POST http://localhost:24817/pulp/api/v3/rpm/copy/
source_repo=${SRC_REPO_HREF} dest_repo=${DEST_REPO_HREF} types="errata"

On the other hand, we're planning to have an actual CLI, then this probably
isn't really an issue.  The way we're doing things now isn't wrong, it's
just frustrating to do from a shell.  But I don't know exactly what our CLI
plans are.

What are your thoughts?