[Pulp-dev] Docstring linting

Matthias Dellweg dellweg at atix.de
Tue May 21 15:07:29 UTC 2019

tl;dr: Docstring linting is inconsistent across pulp repositories.
To make it consistent, do we want to enforce it everywhere, and repair
more than 700 findings?

What started out as a oneliner [0] surfaced as a bigger problem:

Whether flake8 performs linting on docstrings is solely dependent
(afaik) on the existence of a specific python package
(flake8-docstring) in the system.
At the same time, there are repositories (pulpcore,
pulpcore-plugin, ???) that do not install this package in their ci
pipeline, as well as repos that do (pulp_deb, pulp_ansible, ???).
So it is hard to select whether it should be installed in a pulplift
source box.
Not installing it means, there are linting errors showing up in
travis only, however installing it will prevent linting pulpcore
locally.
That said, i think we should follow the same linting rules in all
repositories, and more specific i tend to include docstring linting.
However there are over 700 findings in pulpcore alone.

[0] https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/138