[Pulp-dev] breaking change: accept Null instead of empty string

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Tue May 21 16:25:01 UTC 2019

Pulp 3's REST API does not accept Null as a value for a string field. The
only way for a user to unset a string field is to pass in an empty string.
This makes it awkward to integrate Pulp with other systems that use Null to
represent unset fields. We discovered this usability problem when
investigating issue with the bindings[0].

I propose that we switch all fields in pulpcore's REST API to accept null
instead of empty strings and raise a validation error when an empty string
is passed.

Does this change make sense? Does anyone have objections?

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4676

 - Dennis