[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 Dependencies and Services

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Wed May 22 17:16:55 UTC 2019

Hi Eric,

Let me try to share some info inline. Write back with more questions or
ideas!

Cheers,
Brian

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Eric Helms <ehelms at redhat.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I had a couple of questions around how each of the Pulp 3 services loads
> code and how that relates back to core code.
>
>  * Do all services (workers, resource-manager, pulp-api and pulp-content)
> load the entire stack of pulpcore and plugin code?

Yes all components load Django settings of one form or another so every
entrypoint calls django.setup(). That causes chain-loading of all plugins
so everything inside pulpcore loads and any plugin packages too. This is
true even of pulp-content which is uses a non-Django event handler.

>  * Is there a single python package that contains all code needed to run
> pulp-api, workers and resource manager? is the same true for content?

There isn't one package. I'll try to highlight why. All components can
ultimately call plugin code at one place or another. For instance, custom
Distributions in even the content app may call plugin code for custom
content serving features. The plugin code requires you to have their plugin
python packages, and that code could call back into pulpcore.plugin which
will cause you to need the pulpcore-plugin package also. Meanwhile each of
these components also call pulpcore code directly so there is a direct need
on that package too.

Ideas on improvements or feedback on pain points in this area are welcome.