[Pulp-dev] [Breaking Change] Typed Repositories

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 19:29:43 UTC 2019

After much, great work from @dalley on the typed repository prototype,
unfortunately, we believe it cannot be adopted at this time. Here's a
writeup of why:  https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5625#note-8 and another
writeup of alternatives considered: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5625#note-9

This writeup came from a discussion with other core devs giving input on
various options as well. If we've misread the opportunity here please let
us know!

The primary motivation for typed repositories was to resolve the design
challenges encountered on https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3541 I'm going to do
the following ASAP:

1) update 3541's design with the input from the thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-dev/2019-November/msg00012.html
2) create proof of concept PRs for the changes described so others can see
asap.