[Pulp-dev] Why do we have 'pluginname.app' and what if we only had 'pluginname'?

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 14:50:16 UTC 2019

I recently have been wondering why we have an 'app' folder. Not for 3.0,
but maybe 3.1 we could adjust the plugin_template and pulpcore's plugin
loader to load the plugin as 'pluginname' instead of 'pluginname.app'. Here
are some strange things created by having the 'app' folder.

* pulpcore tries to keep code outside of 'app', and yet it in many places
uses settings or other machinery from inside pulpcore.app. Even
pulpcore.content which is aiohttp uses django for settings...
* commands from all plugin incorrectly report themselves in django-admin as
under 'app' see 4648 <https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4648#note-6>
* it creates another layer in the directory structure with no benefit.
See pulp_file's
extra 'app' <https://github.com/pulp/pulp_file/tree/master/pulp_file>

Why do we have the 'app' directory? By moving all of it's contents to
outside 'app' things would get all-around simpler and issue 4648 would go
away as a bonus. What would happen if we did that in 3.1?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Brian