[Pulp-dev] redmine process for katello-integration-related issues

Tatiana Tereshchenko ttereshc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 12:11:33 UTC 2020

Grant, thanks for trying to solve it thoroughly and with less bookkeeping
work for others.

However, I agree with the sentiment that it's better to have no milestone
than the wrong one.
Setting a milestone correctly is a difficult-to-impossible task, since that
can change with time. Also some projects/plugins assign milestones as a
part of release process, some assign ahead of time.

How about every mini-team, pulpcore and plugins, will figure out milestones
themselves and set them whenever they think is necessary?
And for now we just:

   - create a Katello tag
   - set this tag for all Katello items
   - adjust priority (P1 - High, P2 - Normal, P3 - low)
   - remove Katello-Px tags

What do you all think?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:30 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> pulpcore is not the only project with milestones. Each project has its own
> set of milestones to represent different versions. The issue is your
> proposal is trying to assign all Katello-PX issues to a pulpcore milestone.
> That won't work if you have say a pulp_container or pulp_ansible issue with
> a Katello-PX tag.
>
> You could go through all the Katello-PX issues and try to figure out which
> milestone in which project to assign it to but with so many milestones and
> projects, it's going to be a huge pain. My suggestion was to just worry
> about the open issues and not try to retroactively assign these issues to
> milestones.
>
> David
>

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 7:12 PM Grant Gainey <ggainey at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 6:17 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> A couple observations: the 3.3[0] and 3.4[1] milestones already exist in
>>> redmine. Also, you won't be able to assign any of the MODIFIED issues to
>>> 3.3 because they're all plugin issues and the 3.3 milestone is exclusive to
>>> pulpcore. IMHO, I probably wouldn't assign any issues to any milestones. I
>>> think it would be worse having an issue on the wrong milestone than it
>>> being unassigned.
>>>

>> If pulpcore is the only thing that has the version-milestones, then we're
>> at a dead stop. The whole point of the initial process proposal, was that
>> "milestone" would be able to completely replace the Katello-PX tags as a
>> way for Katello to tell us what they needed/expected when; if that's only
>> useful for pulpcore, then we have missed the mark, since the tags are used
>> cross-organizationally.
>>
>> If you look at the list of open-issues
>> <https://pulp.plan.io/issues?c%5B%5D=project&c%5B%5D=tracker&c%5B%5D=status&c%5B%5D=priority&c%5B%5D=subject&c%5B%5D=author&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=cf_3&c%5B%5D=cf_7&f%5B%5D=status_id&f%5B%5D=cf_7&f%5B%5D=&group_by=&op%5Bcf_7%5D=%3D&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=o&set_filter=1&sort=project%2Cstatus%2Ccf_7&t%5B%5D=&utf8=%E2%9C%93&v%5Bcf_7%5D%5B%5D=Katello-P1&v%5Bcf_7%5D%5B%5D=Katello-P2&v%5Bcf_7%5D%5B%5D=Katello-P3>
>> currently tagged with Katello-PX tags, you'll see more than pulpcore in
>> there.
>>
>> From ttereshc's summary email:
>>

>>>    - tag katello-related issues as 'Katello'
>>>

>>>    - *use the milestone field to define the
>>>    planned-pulp-release-version*
>>>

>>>    - use the Priority field to mark how important it is *to Katello*
>>>

>>>    - remove the existing Katello P1/2/3 tags
>>>
>>>  If we can't mark non-pulpcore-issues with
>> "planned-pulp-release-version", then this proposal is DOA.
>>
>> Clearly, we need some more discussion! Anyone else want to join in?

>>> That would leave the process somewhat simpler:
>>>
>>> 1. Create a Katello tag and assign it to all Katello-PX issues
>>> 2. Set the priority to high for P1 issues, medium for P2 issues, and low
>>> for P3 issues
>>> 3. Optionally, add open P2 issues to 3.4 milestone