[Pulp-dev] redmine process for katello-integration-related issues

Grant Gainey ggainey at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 19:31:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 3:08 PM Brian Bouterse <bmbouter at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 2:52 PM Grant Gainey <ggainey at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Sooo, how about the following for YARP (Yet Another Redmine Process):
>>
>>    - Anything with a katello-PX tag, gets a *Katello* tag
>>    - Open issues with a Katello-P1 tag, get set to *High* priority
>>    - Open issues with a Katello-P1 or Katello-P2 tag, acquire a "
>>    *Katello-Release-3.16*"[1] tag
>>    - Open issues with a Katello-P3 tag acquire a "*Katello-Release-3.17*"[1]
>>    tag
>>    - Katello-PX tags are removed
>>    - Milestone is used in pulpcore and plugins to describe the version *of
>>    that project* when an issue is expected to be delivered
>>    - *Katello devs *that open issues as they test are *responsible* for
>>    setting *Priority* and adding the *Katello tag*
>>    - *Pulp/Katello triage meetings* are *responsible* for adding *Katello-3.XX
>>    tags* and *validating Priority*
>>    - *Pulp/plugin devs* *prioritize* work for katello *by
>>    Katello-version and priority*.
>>
>> On the downside, we end up with Yet More Tags doing things this way.
>>
> My goal is to have fewer tags and a simpler process. Here's my
> counterproposal. Can we replace the 'Katello - P1", "Katello - P2",
> "Katello - P3" with a single tag called ''Katello"? I think the weekly
> check-in meeting will allow us to handle everything else in terms of
> prioritization.

I actually think that will be *less simple *after about the second
triage-meeting.

The first five bullets up there are a one-time process to get us away from
Katello-PX tags (and is prob going to be me pushing the buttons, so I'm ok
with it :) ) So let's leave them aside.

Milestone use is up to the plugin/project teams, to use or not. It's just
listed to make clear it is *not* useful in the katello-PX context.

With "just use a single tag 'Katello'", triage team meets weekly-ish,
decides when things need to be done and in what priority. How is that
recorded? As someone looking for "what I should work on next", where do I
get that info? Do I have to find meeting minutes, or a spreadsheet, or
worst track someone down and interrupt them? When priorities change, how do
we make sure nobody's working from last-week's minutes?

The last three bullets give us three responsible parties, each with one
job. Katello-devs remember to mark issues 'Katello' when they open them.
Triage meeting writes "needed by" and "priority" down *in the issues
themselves*, rather than in a separate document. Developers let redmine
tell them what order to work on things.

I think my proposal makes things *simpler* - because if we follow it, there
should be way less "asking around" to figure out what priorities are. Tools
like redmine/bugzilla should be able to give a developer (or a manager, or
an Interested Party) a view of what's being worked on, when, and in what
order, without requiring extra reporting/documentation/meetings.

Thoughts?