[Pulp-dev] When to apply plugin_template changes

Tanya Tereshchenko ttereshc at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 09:22:48 UTC 2020

Hi Quirin,

I'm replying based on my experience. Maybe folks can add more or correct me
if I'm off somewhere.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 6:27 PM Quirin Pamp <pamp at atix.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I wanted to ask if there is some agreed upon workflow/convention, on when
> to apply the latest changes from the plugin template?

I'm not aware of any written workflow/convention at the moment.
I believe if changes in plugin template are critical to plugins and need to
be applied immediately, a person responsible for the change either creates
PRs for all active content plugins, or if it's not really feasible,
communicates the needed change on pulp-dev list.

> Before releasing? As need arises? When it receives a tag? As often as
> possible?

For the plugins I'm maintaining, I always update it before the release. And
sometimes I update it if a new feature added and I'd like to start using
it, e.g. publishing docs to pulpproject.org nightly.

> In general I tend to check what changes there are before any pulp_deb
> releases, or if there is some immediate need.
>
> A related question: When is the plugin_template given a tag? Whenever
> someone feels like generating a new changelog for it?

Tagging plugin_template is a part of the pulpcore release process (it's the
first step, https://pulp.plan.io/issues/7645). So there is always a tagged
version with every pulpcore release.
In the majority of cases it should be fine to use this tagged version
during for your plugin release. In some exceptional cases, there can be a
fix merged afterwards if something affected plugin releases.
I personally always update from the master branch. It seems to be a good
idea to tag plugin_template if an important fix for plugin releases is
merged afterwards to make it clear for everyone what is the last version
which needs to be used.

Tanya