[Pulp-dev] Changelog conventions

Lubos Mjachky lmjachky at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 15:54:52 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

I have recently noticed that our changelog often contains non-uniform
messages informing about particular changes.

For instance, take a look at the changelogs in pulp_container (
https://pulp-container.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changes.html) or pulpcore (
https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/master/nightly/changes.html):
1. As a user I can manage images in OCI format.
2. Let users fetch the list of all distributed repositories via the
_catalog endpoint.
3. Adds ability to build OCI images from Containerfiles.
4. Added v2s2 to v2s1 converter.
5. Allow administrators to add a signing service.
6. Files stored on S3 and Azure now download with the correct filename.

As you can see, we are using there random tenses and sentence structures. I
am in favor of establishing one feasible convention for all changelog
messages. We should strive to use only one tense, e.g. past simple. Then,
the messages would rather look like this [0]:
1. Removed the filter for the field 'digest'.
2. Added support for mirror mode.

Please feel free to support this idea or raise any concerns. If we reach a
viable consensus I will create a PR which will add a note about acceptable
changelog messages to the corresponding section here
https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/master/nightly/contributing/git.html#changelog-update.
Thank you in advance.

[0] https://keepachangelog.com/en/1.0.0/#how