[Pulp-dev] S3 support for development/testing

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 20:46:15 UTC 2020

Recently we discovered that S3 support was broken in Pulp 3.1[0]. Since we
have at least one stakeholder using S3 in production, we've decided that we
need to make it easier to develop and test our code against S3. To that
end, we have filed an epic for this work and are looking for feedback:

https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5961

A few highlights/questions:
- We plan to use minio since one of our team members has experience with it
- We'll add a plugin_template config value that will run the functional
tests against S3. I think this should probably be a daily cron job.
- I think the pulp-devel role should always install and configure minio but
leave the settings commented out in /etc/pulp/settings.py. That way, we use
filesystem storage by default but developers don't have to recreate their
dev environments if they want to switch over to S3 quickly to test
something out.

Feedback is welcome.

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6154

David