[Pulp-dev] Recommendation: plugin master branches don't declare pulpcore upperbound

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Fri Feb 28 15:39:49 UTC 2020

tl;dr: Have your plugin's setup.py only declare a minimum compatibility
requirement with pulpcore, e.g. 'pulpcore>3.1' instead of what we typically
do now 'pulpcore>3.1,<3.3'.

# motivation

When pulpcore releases a y-stream release it's master branch iterates to
the next y-version. So for the 3.2 release master became 3.3.0.dev. When
other plugins contain upper version limits this change breaks many plugins.

# solution

Don't declare a maximum version on 'master'. Do declare a maximum version
when you release though, to ensure users don't receive the next pulpcore
y-release which could contain backwards incompatible changes.

Other ideas or suggestions are welcome. This is just my recommendation.

-Brian