[Pulp-dev] Pulp3 Applicability Design thoughts (and Katello)

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 14:04:51 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 8:31 AM Justin Sherrill <jsherril at redhat.com> wrote:

> There have been some design discussions going on around applicability
> (https://hackmd.io/ydvHuzXNRA6T9eXx6cqy5A) in pulp3.
>
> There are some big changes compared to pulp2, including:
>
> * Package profile, module profile,and repository list have to be
> uploaded on every applicability computation
>
> * Calls for applicability are not asynchronous (which makes sense as
> they are one profile at a time).
>
> Also keep in mind that due to the complexity of all the information
> needed, Katello has been the primary (and sometimes the only?) user of
> the service.
>
> For an example of what this might looks like, consider a repository that
> syncs some new packages.  For 10,000 clients, it has to send the full
> package profiles for all 10,000 clients, as well as the other
> information in 10,000 api calls.  In Addition our task workers will have
> to wait around for all 10,000 clients to be calculated.  One last point
> is that katello already knows all the NVREA's for the rpms, which rpms
> are in which repositories, which artifacts are in which modules, and
> which packages are in what errata.
>
> Given all this, does it make sense for pulp to calculate the
> applicability?  Or does it make sense for katello to?
>
> This assumes that no one else wants to use applicability in pulp3 (and
> given the barrier to entry is even higher than it was in pulp2, that may
> be possible).

The Cobbler team is interested in integrating with Pulp 3, though no
investigation or work on this has started yet. I've also had a couple
of conversations about it with the Uyuni developers, too. The biggest
hangup previously for integrating Pulp into other tools is the MongoDB
dependency that nobody wanted to deal with. Now that is gone, it has
started looking interesting to people again.

This is also part of the reason why I'd like to see the Pulp 3 stack
shipped in Fedora. It would make it much easier for people to use it
and explore integrating their infrastructure with it.