[Pulp-dev] pulp-owned pypi packages that pulp did not author

Daniel Alley dalley at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 13:37:02 UTC 2020

Reposting my response from the other thread:

Hi Evengi,

In the case of createrepo_c and libsolv, the upstream merged all of the
build script changes that were necessary to enable producing Python
packages, so in that sense the packages we are producing are completely
unmodified.  However, the RPM team isn't particularly interested in
maintaining Python packages, and so they gave us permission to maintain the
packages ourselves.  I've forgotten in what medium that discussion took
place so I'm not sure where even to look for a record of it.  Nonetheless I
actually have a PR open against both projects which would automate the
entire packaging and release process for Python packages with Github
Actions, so that they could become the official owners/maintainers without
actually needing to do any work (hopefully).

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/createrepo_c/pull/207
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libcomps/pull/69

However you may notice that those PRs have been sitting for a while :)  In
any case we'd definitely love to transfer ownership back to them, and I've
been trying to facilitate that process a little bit (with the PRs) but I
don't really want to push on them too hard to do so.

With respect to libsolv it's a little more complicated. As far as I can
tell the upstream is just not interested at all and would probably not
accept the changes into upstream regardless of whether we made the release
process automated.  I asked multiple times if they were interested and got
essentially no response.

https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv/issues/228

+ some discussion on IRC

Feb 24 10:14:47 <dalley> hello Igor, do you have any opinion on this?