[Pulp-dev] Draft Community Demo - Your Opinion Please

Robin Chan rchan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 19:33:29 UTC 2020

Robin Chan

She/Her/Hers

Satellite Software Engineering Manager - Pulp

Red Hat <https://www.redhat.com>

IRC: rchan

Red Hat respects your work life balance. Therefore there is no need to
answer this email out of your office hours.
<https://www.redhat.com>

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks for working on this. Responses inline below.
>
> David
>

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:55 AM Melanie Corr <mcorr at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need your help in shaping the survey[0].
>>
>> I copied over some questions from last year's survey and added what I
>> thought might be interesting. Last year's survey contains a lot of
>> "planning" questions for future upgrades to Pulp 3. Many things have
>> changed since then, and I think you know best where we need to focus.
>>
>> I added conditions to the survey to try and separate the following:
>>
>> * Questions for Pulp 2 Users
>> * Questions for Pulp 3 Users
>> * Questions for people who are in-between their migration. This last
>> category of user may exist only in my head. Let me know :)
>>

>> Questions for you:
>>
>> Do you think streaming the survey into separate user groups like this is
>> a good idea?
>>

> Is it possible though to compare the results across surveys (like what OS
> people are using)?
>

>> With the Pulp 2 survey, do we want to collect, for example, what version
>> of MongoDB they're using? I'm assuming we ultimately want to guide users
>> away from Pulp 2, so most of what I added related to a future migration to
>> Pulp 3. I kept all the "what features would you like" type questions for
>> the Pulp 3 part of the survey and focused on what they need to get away
>> from Pulp 2. What do you think?
>>

> For Pulp 2, I would ditch most of the questions that aren't relevant to
> why they are still on Pulp 2 and what their upgrade/trial experience of
> Pulp 3 is like (if any).

Agreed. I think the EOL on Pulp 2 was a question just to try to get that
info out/awareness.

>> For the Pulp 3 users, are there any areas I haven't covered where you
>> want to focus and learn their experiences?
>>
> What content types they are using. What features they want still. anything
we need to know to get users to use Pulp 3 (start or move to).

>> I asked Greg Sutcliffe, the MBU's Data Analyst, a question related to
>> rewording I was doing on one question. One piece of advice he gave me was
>> to beware of asking about solutions to complex problems. For example, on
>> his advice, I changed "If there was a Pulp 3 web-based interface, would you
>> use it?" from the 2019 survey to "Do you need a Pulp 3 web UI for your
>> environment?" with the follow-up question to describe that workflow if they
>> answer yes. He said to focus the questions on their experiences and their
>> problems rather than having them propose hypothetical solutions.
>>

> +1, good idea.

agreed. no leading questions. I think before we asked a similar question
about the cli. "Would like a free cookie" vs. "what do you need right now"