[Pulp-dev] Meeting minutes "postgres debversion field for pulp"

Matthias Dellweg mdellweg at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 07:34:50 UTC 2020

# Agenda: postgres debversion field for pulp

PRs:
  - https://github.com/pulp/pulp_deb/pull/124
  - https://github.com/pulp/pulp_installer/pull/166

## Background

The postgres extension allows to compare debian package versions
natively in postgres. This allows for queries to be sorted by latest
version or selected by versions being greater than some specific
version.
Pulp can use the extension to enable filters that copare versions.

There is a similar extension for evr (epic version release) for rpm packages.
It might be interesting to explore this technology for python
versions, too. (what else?)

## Questions

- Can we provide a package, and where?
    * Fedora but not epel
    * epel 8 ?
    * copr
    * maintain it from pulp in a migration; this will probably collide
with the implementation in katello
- Can we share the spec file with foreman-packaging?
    * probably yes
- Can we enable this feature in postgres without root?
    * maybe, see:
https://github.com/Katello/postgresql-evr/commit/d1afd385c739c4a13f7ce1e8b7151aa9b67356ea
- What platforms do we need it on?
- To be determined: Is rewriting in sql worth the effort?
    * At least it does not seem to be too hard

## Concerns
- Who is going to maintain it?