[Pulp-dev] Signing Service Meeting Schedule on #pulp-meeting

Quirin Pamp pamp at atix.de
Tue Jun 16 14:51:35 UTC 2020

Hi Brian,

I have been thinking some more about the Signing Service, since the meeting, but I am afraid my thinking gets very muddled/blocked when it comes to the idea of a pulp instance "without shared storage".
I think my problem is that I am missing some relevant background knowledge in basic pulp architecture.
I am in need of some knowledge transfer here (even if it is just a pointer to some relevant documentation, I don't want to take up to much of your time for it).

So my current vague understanding of pulp architecture and components, goes something like as follows:

Pulp components/services:

* A postgres database (or some other functionally equivalent DB? I don't really care about the details... :wink:)
* The REST API (which I think is running as some separate technical service in some way shape or form?)
* A webserver to serve "distributed" content to clients (is that right?).
* Exactly one "resource manager" service to coordinate the workers.
* One or more workers, that actually execute tasks.
* Anything else I forgot?

If all of these components are running on the same host, then trivially they have some "shared storage" at "/var/lib/pulp".
However, I have no clear idea of what is actually stored at "/var/lib/pulp", and I also have no clear idea of what components/services would commonly be installed on separate hosts (I imagine the DB, webserver, and workers would be obvious candidates?).
Finally, I have no clear idea of how components/services communicate with each other (specifically what communication isn't network based, and thereby problematic if components are on separate hosts)?

One final point I am hung up on: My understanding of the term "Artifact" is vague. Is it one artifact corresponds to exactly one file? Is the entire file stored in the DB or is the file itself stored under "/var/lib/pulp/" like with Pulp 2? How exactly does the webserver access and serve files to clients?

I feel like if you could clear some of these points up for me (either directly, or by pointing me in the right direction), I could better contribute to design discussions in the future.

thanks,
Quirin