[Pulp-dev] Handling pulp_deb plugin maintenance

Quirin Pamp pamp at atix.de
Tue Jun 16 16:12:25 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,

I would like to establish some process around routine maintenance of the pulp_deb plugin.

I am writing the mailing list about it, both because I want to give anyone who might be interested a chance to contribute, as well as because I hope to get some answers from the community regarding my own questions on how to go about it.

The most important topics as I see them include:

* Handling routine releases when there is a new pulpcore release
* Handling dot releases (cherry-picks)
* Handling mailing list announcements (I only realized today, that there is another mailing list besides pulp-dev...)
* Handling ticket triage
* PR review process
* Establishing the prerequisites for a non-beta release

If there is any demand, I would be happy to hold a meeting about these points at some point.
Anyone interested should feel free to amend this potential Agenda: https://hackmd.io/kGjFFGtWTJSGuIDlVlgqZw

Some immediate questions I have:

* Should new releases be announced on pulp-dev mailing list, pulp-list mailing list, or both?
* When is the correct point in time to react to a new pulpcore release? Whenever it is announced on the mailing list? Some other time?
* To what extent does any ticket triage process for the pulp_deb plugin need to integrate with the existing ticket triage process for everything else?
* Is anyone interested in participating with ticket triage for pulp_deb?

The outlook for a non-beta release:

The short answer is that there is plenty left to do.
Since Mathias created the initial implementation and handed it off to me, I have not always been able to progress as quickly as I would like. :wink:
I have yet to systematically evaluate the existing features, the documentation is in need of a rewrite, there are several tests I would really rather have, and there has not been a ton of real world testing (that I am aware of).

However, I feel I have now gained some familiarity with the plugin, and will soon have two colleagues that will spend most of their time working on the plugin (Including one who will be dedicated entirely to rewriting the documentation).
As a result, I am currently quite optimistic.
I will try to send the occasional update when some of the more glaring outstanding issues are resolved.

Thanks for your time,
Quirin (quba42)