[Pulp-dev] RBAC Status Thread

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 21:08:18 UTC 2020

Today I accomplished a few more things:

* finished my ldap notes: https://hackmd.io/ED9UpscNSRW86Le3xNzVeg
* moving the checks from a mixin to be "global checks" so they are
available everywhere, this is a feature from drf-access-policy:
https://rsinger86.github.io/drf-access-policy/reusable_conditions/
* added a has_obj_or_module_perms method allowing policy writers to just
use that instad of carrying "two entries" in the policy, one for
model-level, one for object-level

Need to:
* clean up the "sync" policy code
* Add global condition check facilities for the perms of a 'remote' param
* add policy language restricting the /modify/ endpoint also for
FileRepository
* push my code

New Challenge: We need to also have the permissions assignments happen for
objects created by tasks. django-guardian recommends this happen inside
signals (
https://django-guardian.readthedocs.io/en/latest/userguide/assign.html#assigning-permissions-inside-signals).
The challenge (thanks @mdellweg for identifying) is that the user/group
context information is well-known in the viewset but not in a task. Soooooo
... the idea is:

1. Switch the perms addition to the model itself via signals so it's
automatic everywhere (including in tasks)
2. Preserve the user and group "request context" into the tasking system. I
can see a straightforward path to how to do this so I plan to prototype
this soon also.

Feedback is welcome!