[Pulp-dev] New pulpcore release (3.3.1?)

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Wed May 6 12:10:14 UTC 2020

When I look at the all_task_dispatched ticket I see a feature; the
TaskGroup not being in the plugin API I can see as a bug. If we release a
feature I think it would need to be 3.4.0. This is inconvenient I know, but
my concern is that if a feature gets released in Z stream even with good
intentions, we put the semver commitment and transitively the trust of our
users at risk. I agree completely that these changes must be released and
soon.

What about dis-including all_task_dispatched from a 3.3.1? I
believe @daviddavis identified this gap and it was theoretical**. Katello
could workaround by polling any migration a bit longer even when it shows
completed. This would give many benefits: we can stay true to semver,
katello can use the workaround to poll linger, and a low-risk 3.3.1 would
be created without requiring everything to release for compatibility
reasons. What do others think about this approach?

To unpack my mental model for this classification into feature versus bug,
I try to determine if there is a claim of usability already present. If
there is, then it's a bug; if there isn't then it's a feature.

**: I don't mean this negatively. It's only an observation that it has not
been experienced in practice