[Pulp-dev] Managing dependencies with Poetry - PoC

Fabricio Aguiar fabricio.aguiar at redhat.com
Tue May 12 22:34:50 UTC 2020

Due pulp_installer issue https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6623 and the epic for
plugins: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6707

I wanted to try Poetry[1] and see how far I could go.

So I started a PoC[2] on pulp_file, and I will share the pros and cons
pros:
- Manages the dependencies for us (creating a poetry.lock file)
- Easy to build and publish packages
- Easy to track dependencies
- With the latest version of pip, users are able to install using just pip
install [3]

cons:
- Poetry does not work well in editable mode for multiple plugins [4]
- Developers need to install poetry to add/remove the dependencies

This email is not a call for action, I just wanted to share my findings in
case other people were thinking about adopting poetry. I didn't explore it
too much, so my conclusions may be wrong.
In case you wanna play with it, take a look at the PR:
https://github.com/pulp/pulp_file/pull/391

[1] https://python-poetry.org/
[2] https://github.com/pulp/pulp_file/pull/391
[3] https://github.com/pulp/pulp_file/pull/391#issuecomment-627407691