[Pulp-dev] Pulp Installer Meeting Minutes -- May 13th

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Wed May 13 20:48:15 UTC 2020

I'm sending out the minutes to help @mikedep333 who is off today

*Minutes*

   -

   Installer having a dedicated project in Redmine?
   -

      Create a new query for triage that disincludes issues with ‘Pulp 3
      installer’ tag.
      -

      Add a public query that shows all issues with ‘Pulp 3 installer’
      category.
      -

      Is the tag the right way to mark the issues? Should we use category
      instead?
      -

         Create a ‘Installer’ Category
         -

         Add a Sphinx note on how to file installer bugs.
         -

   Pain points - https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6658
   -

      Addressed last week:
      -

         Brief explanation added -
         https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/master/nightly/installation/instructions.html#ansible-installation-recommended
         -

         Commented example on pulp_installer -
         https://github.com/pulp/pulp_installer/blob/master/example-use/group_vars/all
         -

      To be addressed:
      -

         https://pulp.plan.io/issues/6723 - latest docs not being updated
         -

         [Bmbouter] to enquire about enabling github auth for issue tracker
         -

         [mdellweg -> issue] Debian 10 install instructions need to be
         improved.
         -

         Fao89 - file an issue with explicit error due prereq roles
         -

   Plugin neutral policy for the installer
   -

      Prerequisite roles create extra work for users at install time and
      for developers at release time
      -

      We should consider adding the cloning of the prerequisites roles
      using the installer or completely integrating all the prerequisites into
      the installer
      -

   Demo video for pulp_installer?
   -

      Video should not have audio
      -

      https://asciinema.org/ - records terminal output and can be embedded
      in our docs and in the README on github
      -

      Dkliban to file task for creating this video - will include RPM,
      container
      -

   Managing dependencies with poetry -
   https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-dev/2020-May/msg00082.html
   -

      Not a call for action
      -

      Just informing my findings
      -

   Investigation into obal / obsah:
   -

      Why investigate now?
      -

         pulp-insta-demo.sh is about to be removed from website
         -

         As we make more improvements to the installer, we consider the
         constraints of publishing on galaxy. This may introduce addtl
constraints.
         -

      Mike’s vision:
      -

         Have a pulp_installer_wrapper.sh that users download and run.
         -

         Bundles pulp_installer (playbooks/roles/vars) & ansible
         interpreter into that .sh file.
         -

         Some sort of editor or prompts for (commonly adjusted) variables,
         making them easy to set, harder to mess up.
         -

         Assumes localhost by default.
         -

         Achieves usability & convenience for many users
         -

      What obal / obsah can accomplish:
      -

         Users pip install a pulp_installer_wrapper python package that
         depends on obsah & ansible, or invoke a container we publish with it.
         -

         pulp_installer (playbooks/roles/vars) are bundled into the
         pulp_installer_wrapper python package.
         -

         Depending on how much code we write, users would run commands like:
         -

            pulp_installer_something -e
            pulp_default_admin_password=password,pulp_install_plugins={jsonblob},any_other_vars=values
            -

            pulp_installer_something --admin_pw password
            --pulp_install_plugins_yaml /path/to/file.yaml  -e
any_other_vars=values
            -

         localhost assumed, or required (didn’t investigate which exactly)
         -

      Mike’s opinion:
      -

         Not worth it. Increases usability & convenience only a little bit.
         -

         Still look into other tools
         <https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/community/other_tools_and_programs.html#other-tools>,
         or what other projects with collections like ansible-freeipa
are doing for
         the usability & convenience problem.

Action Items

   -

   Bmbouter to create Installer Category, new Saved Query, port existing
   Tag to Category, and remove Installer tag
   -

   Dkliban to create the docs on how to file a bug in these docs
   <https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/blob/master/docs/installation/instructions.rst#ansible-installation-recommended>
   -

   [Bmbouter] to enquire about enabling github auth for issue tracker
   -

   [mdellweg -> issue] Debian 10 install instructions need to be improved.
   -

   [Fao89] - file an issue with explicit error due prereq roles
   -

   [bmbouter] - email @mcorr to ask for the homepage to have a pulp2/pulp3
   table
   -

   [dkliban] - to file task for creating this video - will include RPM,
   container
   -

   [mdellweg] - file an issue to replace
   https://github.com/pulp/pulp_installer/pull/136