[Pulp-dev] Naming/Tagging-Schema for container images

Matthias Dellweg mdellweg at redhat.com
Thu May 14 16:53:39 UTC 2020

We have recently started a new repository calles pulp-oci-images that
should emit according to its name OCI compatible images with pulp
installed.
In the first go, this includes the single-container promoted though
this blog post [0].
Soon to be added is the base container image that shall speed up our CI [1].
In the future, i envision a similar single-container solution based on
centos instead of fedora,
as well as ci base images based on centos having python3.6 installed.
Does anyone think, we even need different ci-images for pulp release branches?

The big question now is: How are we going to name and tag those images?

The one from [0] is called "pulp/pulp-fedora31:latest".
We could go with that and add names like:
- "pulp/pulp-centos8:3.2"
  installation of core version 3.2 with all compatible plugins on centos8
- "pulp/pulp-ci-fedora32:latest"
- "pulp/pulp-ci-centos8:latest"

BTW, the ci-base images can be built by using the same Conteinerfile
interrupted early.
(with --target in a multistage build)

What do you think?

[0] https://pulpproject.org/2020/03/15/pulp-fedora31-single-container/