[Pulp-dev] Creating a more visible presence on Matrix

Melanie Corr mcorr at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 13:48:11 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I had a chat with Greg yesterday and he showed me how he set up the Foreman
presence on Matrix.

The tl;dr is that we don't really need to create Matrix rooms and port the
rooms; we just need to be more discoverable in Matrix.

If the admins slide the rooms to public here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdNEJUL4CM_oKUU1IDEfe-7oBZbbYrKL/view?usp=sharing

Then Pulp rooms just appear in the Matrix directory like any other Matrix
room.

For example, I've done this for #pulp and #pulp-dev, but don't have admin
privileges to do it for the other rooms.

Now, if I search the Matrix rooms for Pulp, the following returns:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxkflh4Sfs4TZNbpzEHj1LCy3Nby5szn/view?usp=sharing

While, for example, pulp-ansible is not in the Matrix directory, so if I
search, I have to specify Freenode rooms:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KdNGSQ12A4GZpzuQnYr2w_hRVwR7jGDd/view?usp=sharing

I also created this community space on Matrix where we can list all the
rooms. I added a few, but can remove any that you think shouldn't be there.

https://riot.im/app/#/group/+pulp:matrix.org

Foreman also has a similar page.

Unless there are any concerns, I am going to add a link to that community
on our website.

What do you think?

--

Melanie Corr, RHCE