[Pulp-dev] Disabling merge by commit

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 22 15:11:30 UTC 2020

Today at open floor, we decided to disable merging by commit for pulpcore
and pulp_file PRs. Instead, developers will rebase or squash PRs to merge
them. This adds the changes to HEAD instead of interspersing commits and
creating a merge commit. This picture of git history comparing pulpcore to
foreman (which doesn't merge by commit) illustrates the differences:

https://imgur.com/a/uiIa0Mr

I'd encourage plugins to consider disabling merge by commit as well. To do
so, go to the settings page for your github repo and look under the Merge
Button section.

David