[Pulp-dev] Disabling merge by commit

Quirin Pamp pamp at atix.de
Wed Sep 23 08:32:04 UTC 2020

"I'd encourage plugins to consider disabling merge by commit as well."

In order to evaluate this it would be great, if you could explain why this was decided for pulpcore and pulp_file.
You have posted a lot of general information about the different merge  type (the "What?"), but not so much on the "Why?".

As far as I can tell the main advantage of squish and rebase, is that it leads to a more tidy history in master, at the cost of losing some information on how the sausage was made.
As a result squish and rebase becomes increasingly advantageous with increasing PR volume.
However, I fail to see an advantage for pulp_deb, which does not have a large PR volume.

Or am I missing some relevant part of the argument?

Quirin