[Pulp-dev] Disabling merge by commit

Ina Panova ipanova at redhat.com
Wed Sep 23 10:48:30 UTC 2020

Hi Quirin,

--------
Regards,

Ina Panova
Senior Software Engineer| Pulp| Red Hat Inc.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
 go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:47 AM Quirin Pamp <pamp at atix.de> wrote:

> "I'd encourage plugins to consider disabling merge by commit as well."
>
> In order to evaluate this it would be great, if you could explain why this
> was decided for pulpcore and pulp_file.
> You have posted a lot of general information about the different merge
> type (the "What?"), but not so much on the "Why?".
>
> As far as I can tell the main advantage of squish and rebase, is that it
> leads to a more tidy history in master, at the cost of losing some
> information on how the sausage was made.
> As a result squish and rebase becomes increasingly advantageous with
> increasing PR volume.
> However, I fail to see an advantage for pulp_deb, which does not have a
> large PR volume.
>
> Or am I missing some relevant part of the argument?

I think your understanding is correct. In my perspective it is important to
have a tidy history in master no matter how high/low PR traffic you have.

pulp_container has disabled merge by commit as well.