[Pulp-dev] [Pulp-list] Github Discussions

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:59:06 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 7:21 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> One of the main reasons we wanted to move off mailing lists is that signing up is inconvenient for users that may just want to ask a single question. But I agree that Github Discussions is not so great if users want to periodically monitor news and discussions for a project like Pulp. I wonder perhaps if Discourse[0] would be a better fit (see Foreman's use of discourse as an example[1]). It provides a mailing list mode that users can enable if they want to interact solely via email. And also, it also offers more granular control of notifications and auth with services like Github.

The Fedora mailing list system (HyperKitty) actually manages to strike
a good balance here. You can sign in with OIDC/Social Login with
Fedora, Google, etc. and post to a list and only be subscribed to that
thread. Or you can subscribe to the whole list and do things like we
do now.

> One of the main concerns we've had around using Discourse is hosting it ourselves but it does look like Discourse provides a free plan for open source projects[2]. It has some limitations (not sure if they'd be an issue for us?) but I've submitted an application to see if we qualify. I should hear back in a couple days.

I suspect not, but it'd be an interesting surprise if we qualified.