[Pulp-dev] pulp_rpm and current backwards-compatibility problems

Grant Gainey ggainey at redhat.com
Tue May 11 15:49:06 UTC 2021

Hey folks,

We've been talking about how we need a pulpcore/3.7-to-3.11-compatible
release of pulp_rpm. The static_context change requires a schema-change,
and it has to be available to katello-3.18 (and hence pulpcore-3.7)

The static_context change is PR#1984
<https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/1984>

Right now, pulp-rpm/master has changes that require pulpcore/3.12 or later.
Those changes are:

d0c9badd Refactor distribution migration 0032
fbaadaca Add support for automatic publishing and distributing

In addition, pulp_rpm/master is *currently broken* because it still
references the deprecated enqueue_with_reservation(), that just got removed
from pulpcore/master.

As I understand it, what needs to happen #SOON, is the following:

   1. revert the two commits above and merge,
   2. get the static_context change updated (since a migration will have
   Left the Building) and get it merged,
   3. merge any other fixes that won't break 3.7-compat [OPTIONAL], and
   THEN
   4. cut 3.11 as compatible with 3.7-thru-3.10 pulpcore

Once pulp_rpm/3.11 is released, we can then:

   1. re-apply the auto-pub/dist-schema changes,
   2. fix enqueue-problem,
   3. mark pulp_rpm/master as 3.12+ compat, and finally
   4. release pulp_rpm/3.12 to be ready for pulpcore-3.13

And this all needs to happen by next week?

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Grant Gainey
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat System Management Engineering