[Pulp-dev] pulp_rpm and current backwards-compatibility problems

Grant Gainey ggainey at redhat.com
Tue May 11 20:20:24 UTC 2021

Hey gang -

After learning of some other Complications, the timeline/steps I've listed
need to be a little more complete. The key additional points are

   - there's a third pulp_rpm commit that needs post-core-3.12 code (3157ad
   <https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/commit/3157ad10abf777009620ffa421b3eab45d85a5bb>
Oracle
   ULN)
   - pulpcore PR 1318 <https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/1318> breaks
   pulp_rpm because we can't move to using dispatch() until after the dance
   we're doing right now;
   - pulp_rpm can't pin against an earlier version of pulpcore, because
   they all will break due to the Django Problem
   - Once Django releases their fix, fixing the Django Problem for us
   requires bmbouter's patch

Whew. So anyway, the sequence to unsnarl this goes something like so:

1. get pulp_rpm CI building against pulpcore-3.12
  - PR#1985 <https://github.com/pulp/pulp_rpm/pull/1985>
  - figure out how to pin django-2.2.20 before pip tries to install 2.2.21
2. Revert the following commits in pulp_rpm:
 - d0c9badd Refactor distribution migration 0032
 - fbaadaca Add support for automatic publishing and distributing
 - 3157ad Oracle ULN
3. get the static_context change updated (since a migration will have Left
the Building) and get it merged
4. merge any other fixes that won't break 3.7-compat [OPTIONAL], and THEN
5. cut pulp-rpm/3.11 as compatible with pulpcore/3.7-thru-3.10

Once 3.11 is in the can, then we :
1. Re-apply the reverted PRs and resolve conflicts (there will be some)
2. remove the dependency on enqueue_with_reservation()
3. Unpin pulp_rpm from 3.12/django-2.2.20
4 Release a pulp_rpm/3.12 that will be ready for pulppcore/3.13 to be
released

I feel like I've missed a step somewhere - dalley, bmbouter, was there
something else form the call we just had? Or is this It?

Whew!

OK, I am off to adjust PR-1985 to do step-1 above.