[Pulp-list] pulp createrepo

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 16:30:35 UTC 2008

Devan Goodwin wrote:

> Working on getting a pulp command line interface in place to create a
> mirror of an external repository. Looking for some feedback on what
> people think this should look like and do.
>
> Working off cobbler code I believe the workflow is something like this:
>
> cobbler repo add
> - --mirror=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/6/i386/
> - --name=fc6i386updates
>
> cobbler reposync

Yes, you can also do:

cobbler reposync --only=reponame

The other possibles for reposync are URLs like:
--mirror=rsync://user@host:foo
--mirror=/tmp/foo
--mirror=rhn://channel-name (this just invokes yum's reposync, see mrepo
for older stuff?)

etc

> Should we follow a similar workflow of using a add command to store a
> persistent representation of the necessary repo data, then another
> command to do the initial and subsequent syncs?

We need that because you want to add the repo once and be able to sync
it multiple times
later. A config file for defining all the repos/settings (at least at
first) as opposed to CLI
logic would probably be ok!

Howevever once you want to start doing point-in-time snapshots of
certain repos that's where
tools might be easier (otherwise you'd have to edit the textfile, run a
command, switch back, etc).

> I don't think I'm going to tease apart all the cobbler command line
> logic but will start with something a little simpler (we can expand
> later) for the command line parsing, but will port over the reposync
> code from cobbler to do the legwork.

Cobbler stuff is just all using optparse.

Being able to not sync certain repos (--keep-updated) is fairly useful
for making
static snapshots.

And if there's a Python API for querying the repo names that are set up
that would
be awesome. (That way cobbler could detect if Pulp was installed and
automatically
show them/validate against them/etc) if it wanted to...