[Pulp-list] How about we just merge these core features into Cobbler?

Ben Riggs rigg0022 at umn.edu
Fri Sep 12 18:55:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been an avid user of cobbler for a year or more, now, and we use it
for repo management. It works well for what it does, but, naturally,
there are functions we currently do by hand or by script that would be
very convenient to have included. I definitely like the idea of a
separately maintained repo management program that integrates with
cobbler. I also think that having repo manage working properly is
crucial to cobbler working properly. However, the idea of having a
different interface that uses the cobbler api for more advanced features
seems like a less than desirable solution.

Instead, I think what would make the most sense in the long run in the
way of software architecture is for pulp to provide a solid api that is
used by cobbler. This, however, would be added complexity for anyone
developing the software and would likely require close oversight. Given
that caveat, I think that such a design would provide better
functionality and ease of development in the end.

Ben