[Pulp-list] How about we just merge these core features into Cobbler?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 12 20:10:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 15:56 -0400, Mairin Duffy wrote:

> > It seems there are two topics here, of which I am most interested in the
> > second
> >
> > (A)  Making a new web app, possibly to be included with and/or replace
> > parts of Spacewalk
> > (B)  Adding some repo management features that Cobbler can't do yet ...
> > whether that be in cobbler or otherwise
> >
> Breaking it down this away upon further examination doesn't make sense
> to me. A is saying the new web app will possibly be included with or
> replace parts of Spacewalk essentially means it will be included with or
> replace parts of cobbler because cobbler is being added to spacewalk. B
> is saying that the pulp-like things sans interface should be added to
> cobbler, which is the same as adding them to spacewalk because cobbler
> is being added to spacewalk, except the entire idea of a UI is left out.
> So A appears to equal B, except B does not have a UI for repo
> management, or is hooking cobbler up to spacewalk's existing 'repo
> management' UI. The limitations of spacewalk's existing repo management
> UI and underlying system is the whole reason pulp was proposed in the
> first place. :)
>
> I prefer to think about this in terms of user problems to solve, not
> project names / code bases / backends vs. UI.

I've been following this thread and trying to make sure I understand
where the sides of this discussion are coming from.

After reading everything it seems like something isn't being said which
might be fairly useful to say.

Before I say it though I'd like to note that I don't have a dog in this
fight. :)

It seems like cobbler has functioning code and a good-sized userbase.
Active development. Pulp otoh has some ideas and some structure but not
a lot of functioning code to backup those ideas. It seems like Michael
is suggesting we take the feature set that pulp wants to achieve and
implement it as a mode/interface/etc of cobbler. Essentially, folding
pulp into cobbler.

I'll be honest it sounds like a fair idea. There's going to be a fair
bit of overlapping code b/t pulp and cobbler anyway - and it would get
more exposure to the feature ideas from pulp if people could get to them
in cobbler. Since I know of many, many, many existing cobbler installs.

While I appreciate it not mattering what code stuff lives in - from a
user and 'marketing' standpoint it does matter.

If I've already got cobbler setup I want to see the new bits  added
there not have to setup something somewhat overlapping but different.

So, to encourage and expand the userbase that both projects  are
ultimately targeting. Why not join forces, converge under the cobbler
code base and scm and move up from there?

If I dare say it - it sure seems like good synergy! :)

But in all seriousness it does seem like a good place to collaborate
well that helps get pulp's ideas into production and helps the existing
users of cobbler.

am I really offbase here?
-sv