[Pulp-list] Repo Sync Scheduling

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 16 15:04:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 10:54 -0400, John Matthews wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 10:44 AM, Jason Dobies wrote:
> >
> > My initial idea on the actual scheduling portion of this was for pulp to
> > add files to /etc/cron.d and have them call pulptools to trigger the
> > sync. The problem I'm running into is that apache doesn't have write
> > permissions to it.
> >
> > It seems like there'd be a pretty common approach for apps using cron.
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> >

> Instead of adding cron tasks as system wide, could you add them as a
> specific user, maybe a "pulp" user?

That's the virtue of cron.d

it's not like cron.hourly or cron.daily which ultimately run as part of
root's crontab.

cron.d is like another crontab spool location but you specify the user
to run as -- for example:

cat /etc/cron.d/smolt
# Runs the smolt checkin client
20 16 5 * * smolt /usr/bin/smoltSendProfile -c > /dev/null 2>&1

The virtue of cron.d is that:
1. a config process is in /etc
2. your normal backups pick it up
3. things don't get crabby when you edit them using regular tools and
not crontab -e
4. your users don't have to remember /var/spool/cron silliness

sorry-  I'm not a big fan of crontabs being in /var - it always
irritated me and /etc/cron.d made me happy.

-sv