[Pulp-list] Repo Sync Scheduling

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 16 15:31:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 09:24 -0600, Jason L Connor wrote:

> I've been poking around on this all morning, to no avail.
>
> Looking at the way that cron seems to work, we may need to call the
> crontab command directly. Perhaps store the "cron file" in the database
> and then run the command: "crontab <file>" and provide the file.
>
> Just a thought.

you could have the pulp web site write the info you want out to a db
then have a process which comes along when the db is changed and writes
out (as root or whatever) the info to /etc/cron.d/

That way you avoid system calls to crontab which is just pain.

So the process looks like:

user logs into webinterface
user requests some repo be synced
pulp writes this to a db
that info is plucked out and written to /etc/cron.d

that way you're:

1. not writing directly to a potentially dangerous path from an apache
process
2. not relying on anything in pulp running - since cron should be
running all the time
3. using the existing system infrastructure

-sv