[Pulp-list] data model versioning

Jason L Connor jconnor at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 14:39:12 UTC 2010

Morning All,

I'm about to push a change into origin/master that turns on data model
versioning.

Data model versioning will bring some fundamental behavioral changes to
the pulp server. Nothing will change immediately if you have installed
from rpms, but if you have installed via the development script and
setup.py, here's what you'll need to do:
      * re-run setup.py: sudo python src/setup.py develop
      * run the new pulp-migrate script: sudo pulp-migrate
      * restart apache: sudo service httpd restart

If you get any errors while running the pulp-migrate script, please
contact me and send along the entries in pulp.log. We'll need to fix
those as soon as possible.

One caveat here: There's a chicken and the egg problem here with version
1. We've already made several iteration in the data model, but had yet
to implement data model versioning. And for version 1, we pretty much
just have to draw a line and say: this is it. That line is the state of
the data model at the end of this last sprint (cloude sprint 16). This
means that you may have inconsistencies in your data model from previous
changes that are not addressed by the "migration" to version 1 (which is
essentially just adding a label to the db).

If you see an error in the pulp log that looks like this:
[CRITICAL] data model version mismatch: None in use, but needs to be 1
[CRITICAL] use the 'pulp-migrate' tool to fix this before restarting the web server

You didn't run the pulp-migrate script.

If you seen an error in the pulp log that looks like this:
[CRITICAL] data model version is up to date, but has not been validated
[CRITICAL] use the 'pulp-migrate' tool to fix this before restarting the web server

You ran pulp-migrate, but the data model validation step failed. Which
could be for one of two reasons:
     1. there's a bug in validation (most likely, please contact me)
     2. there's old data in your data base (you're screwed)

If you've installed via the rpm, none of this will affect you yet. And
the next time we build the rpms, the data model migration should happen
automatically.

I hope this doesn't throw too big a wrench into everyone's day.

Good Luck :)
--
Jason L Connor
Software Engineer